Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Thursday, June 14, 2007

No Place Like Home

I have officially passed the minimum page-count for my thesis, and am preparing to round it off into a neat working draft. It has no introduction or conclusion; those will come later once I straighten out the argument. Tomorrow I am going to visit my thesis advisor for the last time.

I'm going back home. The graduate powers that be have approved it, and if all goes according to plan I will be there on the 22nd. This is good news for you because once there, I will have access to my books and my scanner so I can pick up work on the Bronteana Resource site. I have come across a lot of fabulous material which ought to be available there. There were casualties... My mother tells me that my desktop hardrive was stolen. Chances are I will never relocate everything that was stored on it.

But what remains is very shiny and interesting! For instance, there are these beautiful illustrations from Jane Eyre, an edition illustrated by F. Townsend, and dated circa 1896. In the image below, Mr. Rochester begins to regain some of his sight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay, well done on the thesis! That is a nice image. What is Mr R doing with his hands?

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Congrats on getting done-ish and getting to go home! Safe trip, and good luck on the French exam tomorrow. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a university professor in the U.S. who teaches film but have an M.A. in English and specialized in Victorian lit back in the day.

I'm a die-hard fan of JANE EYRE and the Brontes and stumbled across your blog only yesterday as I was trolling the web.

You've got good resources here! I'm subscribing to your feed.

And I gather you're near the end of the thesis road -- congratulations.