Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Film Adaptation of Shirley?

From today's News and Star:

40k Euros to develop screenplay

A CUMBRIAN-educated lecturer has been awarded 40,000 Euros to develop her screenplay of Charlotte Bronte’s Shirley.

Dr Jo Baker, who attended Queen Elizabeth School at Kirby Lonsdale and now lectures in English and Creative Writing at Lancaster University, won the funding from the Irish Film Board.

The screenplay is now in development with the independent production company Green Park Films.

Dr Baker said: “It was a great sense of satisfaction to be taken seriously for my screenplay because I’ve never done anything like this before and it’s very exciting.

“I have my own dream wish list of who I’d like to be in the film but it’s early days yet. But the fact that we’ve got investment makes me feel more confident.”

Published in 1849, the novel is set the industrialising England of the Napoleonic wars and Luddite revolts of 1811-12.

Illustration from the Bronteana Resource Site. Other illustrations can be found here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank the lord!!! I have waited for years for someone to come to their senses about Shirley and adapt it into a series - at last it's happened!

Keeping fingers and toes crossed for this one...

I wonder who is in her dream cast?

Brontëana said...

I suddenly had the thought that the powers that be might be softening towards Shirley because it bears a slight, superficial resemblance to North and South...

I DO hope that all goes well, and that they see it through production!

And then, maybe Villette? :D

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I found you on youtube. I am an avid Jane Eyre fan and not getting to New York to see the musical is one of my biggest disappointments. I saw that you have several clips on you tube. I wonder if you have a complete copy of the musical... could I purchase a duplicate from you?

Please email me at toddamdjen@gmail.com

Thank you!
Jennifer

Will Freeman Creations said...

Hello mate great blog poost