Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Monday, July 17, 2006

Ye Brontee Blogge

While looking through some recent blog posts on the Brontes I came across this one about which famous authors would keep blogs if they were alive today. The blogger thought the Brontes wouldn't be keen on the idea:

11. Jane Austen - I'm going to get shit for this, and let it be known that I absolutely love her books, and can't think of a writer I admire more, but I just don't think I'd read her blog. Am I wrong? Maybe.

12. The Bronte Sisters - Same deal as with Austen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems to me that Anne and Emily (especially Emily) would not keep personal blogs, although Anne might be tempted to comment on current affairs and sway public opinion on matters that concerned her. Charlotte, on the other hand would dive right in. She loved debate, and was a tremendous snark (ie, a wit especially a playful or sarcastic one). Her letters are awesome. I think I enjoy reading them more than reading some of her novels, like The Professor...

This seems the perfect opportunity to mention one of my favourite blogs: Geoffrey Chaucer Hath a Blog. I first heard about it through a friend of mine who is a Ph.D student studying Shakespeare. It is written by Geoffrey Chaucer. Yes, the Medieval English poet known for his lewd tales and frustrating habit of writing in Medieval English (well, it was all they had back then you know- besides Latin). Yt Ich kanne saye Ich dide ivir love ye poetrie of maister Chavcer. Especially to rede off ye parlement of birddes. May it pleaseth you to rede of maister Chaver's web blogge, here ben somme exempli:


Oone outtake from ye 'Canterbury Tales':

An INDIAN CHIEF, a COWBOYE and a COPPE
A WERKERE and a LEATHER MANNE (a toppe)
Did marche togedir in fraternitee
Al thogh thei were of varyinge lyveree.
Thei knewe sum auncient magicke remedye
For “Y M C A” dide they ful loude crye,
And lifte ther armes lyk vnto menne gone woode.
And eek yt semede their mappe was nat too goode:
Thogh Canterburye-warde we headede Est
In unison thei seyde to us ‘Go Weste.’

Thees ben myn moste beloved postes from Chavcer's blogge: Hot Courtlie Accioun! (Chaucer gets spam. By the way, BSL mean 'by Saint Loy!'), and The Cipher of Leonardo (Chaucer's version of the Da Vinci Code).

4 comments:

mysticgypsy said...

I agree. Charlotte would have a really interesting blog indeed!

Brontëana said...

There was a blog-based role playing game featuring the Brontes. The concept was that all the world's famous authors had been reincarnated in the present and were attending the same high school. I played Anne for awhile but then Emily and Charlotte left.

Anne was good friends with Wodehouse, and had a crush on C.S. Lewis while Jane Austen was always trying to get Charlotte to date Alexander Pope. Anne thought she'd have more fun with Thackeray but he was last seen leaping out of his window after taking some drugs... Emily ran off with Lawrence of Arabia in a time machine. She sent messages to Blake for awhile but no one has heard from her for months.

mysticgypsy said...

Oh my!!! That is HILARIOUS!!!! Dating Alexander Pope indeed!! ;)

Is this game still on? I'd love to join in!!

Brontëana said...

I think it is. It wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be! I think there were just too many characters involved. I'll have to look for the link. But some of the scenarios were pretty hilarious.

No one liked Shakespeare because he was the darling of the English teacher. ;)