Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Bronte Craft Corner


I think this is the first time I have written about the many things readers do to show their enthusiasm for the Brontes. This is by no means an exhaustive list. In fact, I have done no research at all for this post. I simply noticed that my friends and I are very peculiar and wanted to share this fact. Firstly, my friend Kristina made me a pair of Jane Eyre finger puppet gloves for me to use in lecture when I am a professor (above: Blanche, St.John, Diana, and Mary). She also made a little plush Mr Rochester doll. Mysticgypsy made some as well! Here's little finger puppet Jane and Rochester:

I have mentioned before that last year I created a comic book of Jane Eyre and am currently working on one for Villette (I intend to one day illustrate all of the novels and then to have them bound). Another common project is to make an icon, banner or bar sometimes will captions:
(Right top: By Alisa and Thisbeciel. Right bottom: by myself and Natasha Ranken)

And below is a bar of illustrations from a book I have, rough work for my comic book, two contributed by Arliamay in Australia, two ink sketches of mine, and from Lady Branwen's comic book! I'm sorry for the lack of Wuthering Heights fun but I don't have permission to post what I have come across.


Please respect the artists and do not save, copy, or repost these images without permission.

8 comments:

mysticgypsy said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!
Those fingerpuppets are sooooooooo adorable Bronteana!!! And all together on the same hand too! oooh what a fancy hairstyle Blanche has!

I do love your sketches..the Ned ones are great! (:P are you up for a duel for Ned?)

I am still trying to brainstorm ideas for the Heathcliff spoon. Do let me know if you've come up with anything :D

Brontëana said...

Yours are so cute, it hurts ;) What large, dark eyes Mr Rochester has!

A duel? What? So you've found him already? That was fast!

I forgot about the spoon! Oh dear... Actually I have an illustration in mind. I doodled some of it while I was waiting for a History lecture to start. :)

mysticgypsy said...

ooh!!! I dare say it'd be fun to see your rendition of the Heathcliff spoon :D

The stick-figure-Ned is really sweet! :D oh and the second one from the left is funny! Actually I thought it was looked like cat-dog at first :P
hmm the one on the far left is ominous though...creepy :/ but well done nevertheless.

Brontëana said...

The one at far left is one of my favourites. It is of Mr Rochester at Fearndean. He is in the foreground, trying to walk forward with his fingers timidly reaching out on his one hand and his empty sleeve hanging down on the other side. Jane is in the background looking on. :( You would like the others- they are all very well done.

Stick figure Ned is from a comic that I starred in along with a lot of other people. My sub-plot was that I was trying to foil Arnold Swartzenegger's plans to play Mr Rochester and kidnap Jane. But then St.John tried to marry me but I escaped to Thornfield and met Mr Rochester and Jane. While I was there, they showed me the 'gallery of Rochesters' where Anthony Crivello's Mr Rochester was- flying in a cloud of pink sparkles. (it's a long, long story :) We tried, at one point, to summon my favourite Rochester using Captain Planet rings but there were too many of us for us all to have elemental powers, so I got the power of pink sparkles. It didn't work... We got Chuck Wagner instead :(

I tried uploading some of my hoard of illustrations at the Resource website but it was all in vain :( The second from the left is from one of my favourite scenes in the novel- the carriage to Milcotte scene. Mr Rochester has just finished teasing Adele about the fairy and Jane is telling him to be quiet. :)

mysticgypsy said...

haahahahhhh did the flying in pink sparkles include Rochester with a tutu on???

This is hilarious! Edward Fairfax Rochester in a tutu! Next thing he could be doing is romping with Angela Ballerina!

Brontëana said...

No, he was NOT in a tutu! As you can see, he isn't wearing clothes. But no one else was- except for Jane. I made an animated icon of my flying Mr Rochester but I have trouble with animations on Bronteana :(

However, just as funny is a song from a regional musical of Jane Eyre. In that one Mr Rochester does a very good impression of Celine. Makes me laugh everytime! The falsetto: "My dearest! My darling! My lover! My pet! My masculine beauty! My taille d'athele-e-e-te!"

mysticgypsy said...

hehe Rochester as masculine beauty! :P

ooh but he is uncommonly handsome :D

hmm to0 bad about Blogger!! I'd have loved to see the animation!

Brontëana said...

Your puppet certainly is far too handsome for the role, I'm certain ;)