Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Anne-ecdotes

This is yet another personal testamony of a Brontephile in the land that forgot the Brontes. Today, in the very room where last week I had heard a tirade against all three sisters, someone began to talk to me about them, knowing of this blog. I was delighted, and surprised when he assumed that of the three Anne was my favourite. She is not, in fact, but it made me feel strangely happy nevertheless.

And, I did finally break down and order a copy of Agnes Grey. It should be arriving next week.

Some related Bronte news from the homefront- I did convince two people to read Jane Eyre this week. This is astonishing progress, believe me. Although I think the first person will not be pleased with the book... After rejoicing, I remembered that this particular person loathes and despises anything even remotely religious. I brought in a Bible once, to prepare for a medieval lit seminar I had to give, and she hissed at it. So... I'm not sure what she'll make of Jane Eyre! Alas. And the second is the fellow mentioned above who hasn't read the book, "but I saw the movie and that was enough." The minx. But anyway, he was only kidding. He also said he wanted to give "Violet... Violette... that V one, you know," a try. Oh bliss- I don't think many of you will comprehend this, but I had to get a copy of Villette from a friend in Iowa...

Lastly, blame me who will, I was alone in an auditorium room for several hours today so I worked on a short story (based on JE), talked out loud to Charlotte while I did so, then sang Amarilli, Mia Bella. No one else will ever know!

4 comments:

mysticgypsy said...

Kudos to your efforts in promoting Bronte-appreciation! How many people's lives must have changed by being introduced to the Brontes.

Yay!!! So glad I am not the only one who talks to Charlotte (loud!!)! :D

Brontëana said...

I was dismayed when I remembered her strong- STRONG aversion to anything religious but who knows? I thought that a Catholic friend would dislike Villette and instead it became her all time favourite book (and fell completely in love with Monsieur Paul).

I just hope she isn't mad at me for borrowing her characters ;)

mysticgypsy said...

"I was dismayed when I remembered her strong- STRONG aversion to anything religious but who knows?"

If you meant Charlotte, I felt the same when I considered her views on foreigners and imperialism :\, although I have found (thankfully)some literature that redeems her in this regard..

Anonymous said...

Hissing at a Bible? Blimey. I hope your anti-religious friend reads the bit about plucking the mask from the face of the Pharisee – CB, as usual, was ahead of her time!