Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Jane's Journey Part 4, and More News on JE '06?

And now we have James Barbour's interview from the November 6th episode of Broadway Beat 2000. A special thanks to 'English' and Kathey for helping me date this piece.

James Barbour (Mr Rochester): I had read the novel three times- the third time just before I went to do La Jolla, and that time with Rochester in mind. And I just realized at that point that- I mean, I've done roles like Billy Bigalow and The Beast. Billy Bigalow is a multidimentional role and he's always on all the time. The difference is this man has probably thirty more layers than Billy Bigalow does. And once I got in production, once we got in rehearsal I realised how- I mean, he's delicious! And that's what I gravitated to but it's the darkness, the happiness, the torture, the love, the unrequited love, I mean just unbelievable levels. And trying to make them all fit into one character was the challenge- and it still is the challenge. That's what I enjoy about it.

Next time, Mary Stout (Mrs Fairfax)!

For more on James Barbour and Rochester, see the post entitled Actors on Playing Mr Rochester Part 3.

Next, mysticgypsy informs me that she has recieved word from the BBC Drama webteam that there are no plans to produce either 'Jane Eyre' or 'Villette' anytime soon. This is no cause for alarm, I think. My friends discovered that the BBC was planning on releasing the 1973 production after months of hearing that they had no plans to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I have converted four of the mpgs you made available a while back (from the JE musical) to iPOD format. Oh the bliss of watching those few scenes during BORING meetings at work! If you think there are others who'd like them, I can yousend them...let me know.

Brontëana said...

I think that would be a nice idea, Esther! I don't have an ipod myself, but I can imagine a few people would probably like to stare at James Barbour for awhile when they are out- I mean, listen to Jane Eyre. ;)

Did you get the songs from La Jolla as well? I posted them a few weeks ago.